Below is a list of freely available software that I would recommend for all Mac users.
- Alfred – If you install nothing else, install this. Alfred makes it easy for typers to find applications, folders, etc.
- f.lux – Save your eyes at night
- OmniDiskSweeper – A simple utility to find where you’re using all your disk space.
- SuperDuper! – A great disk cloning utility. The free version is quite useable for the occasional backup. You’ll want to purchase the full version if you’re going to use it heavily.
- TechTool Delux
- Tunnelblick – Great open source VPN client for OSX. Unobtrusive and very functional.
- coconutBattery – Found out the health of your battery
- The Unarchiver – Great add-on to support additional compression formats (rar, etc.)
- iOS Backup Extractor – Simple utility to get all your files (like voicemails) out of your iTunes backup
- GnuCash – Relatively simple open source finance tracking application. The only personal finance tool I’ve seen (free or commercial) that really makes use of double-entry accounting.
- VLC – While Quicktime Player is quite nice, sometimes you it doesn’t understand some files. VLC is usually the answer.